Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Rose Garden playing & flailing

At 10am, four of us met up, including a newbie - welcome Andrea! Unfortunately my camera is broken and I didn't manage to get sketchbook shots.

I spent much of the day feeling like drawing was a big struggle, but apparently that leads me to keep doing it - at the end of the day, I had filled a lot of pages.



What intrigues me most about the Rose Garden as a sketching location is the depth of the view; you can often see many rows of roses, then trees, more trees, downtown buildings, forested suburb, hills, Mt. Hood. I started with a quick sketch to try to figure it out, then started working on capturing the textures of the foliage using brush pen. Here's my first try at a full scene...



I played around with materials a lot - this is a Kuretake gray brush pen, and then a bunch of colored Pilot Hi-Tec-C's.


In the afternoon, we parted ways. I went to the zoo, but never paid admission - just hung out around the front, and headed home on MAX before the crowds drove me too crazy.


This guy at the very bottom wasn't on the train, he's a character in a comic book I've been working on, and lately he turns up on most of my pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment