Sunday, October 12, 2014

Apple Tasting Festival

I'm taking the online Sketchbook "Skool" Storytelling class and this week's homework from Melanie Reim was to sketch people in action. Well, there were plenty of people and there was plenty of action at the Apple Tasting Festival at Portland Nursery.  Tucked in among the plants, with the smell of popcorn, pizza, and apple strudel wafting by, I tried to capture some of that action as people chose their apples. Some filled many bags and even some wagons! (I was eager to draw as much as I could, so I added the color at home.)

The post-its are another idea from Melanie Reim. She does warm-up portraits on little post-its. I find that they're also handy for covering up mistakes.


When apples were really popular, the customers had to dive deep to get their picks.


The line for the tasting went on and on, but it was still too quick for me.


It was a lovely day to be out sketching with our little group. I also came home with some tasty new varieties of apples and an increased appreciation for those who can sketch quickly.

2 comments:

  1. These are so much fun! Your rapid-fire linework is so playful and expressive. The idea of layering the composition with sticky notes is really clever too. (Instant no-mess collage, anyone?) I think my favorite is left side of the second spread, with the moody dark background contrasting against the big negative spaces of the apple crates. But they all make me smile, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color you have added....so much is revealed! On the first I didn't really see that the man was bending down so far to get his pick.
    A wonderful day, I agree.

    ReplyDelete