Saturday, May 11, 2013

Train Day


Today, the Urban Sketchers gathered at Union Station to record the festivities of National Train Day.
I started with a quick sketch of a fellow sketcher.


Next, I tried to capture the crowd waiting in line for a close up look at an old steam engine. There were people of all ages, lots of little kids, train buffs, and several clowns.

watercolor and ink on toned paper


 After a while, I escaped the crowds and sketched in the garden outside the station.This napper had a dog that watched over her. There was really only the one dog, but I liked it in both positions. Later, another young woman switched places with this one and brought another dog! I felt like my sketch of two dogs made it happen:) I decided I'll draw a large pile of money to test this theory.


I went back for another quick sketch of this engine and added the gel pen and marker at home.



As always, it was fun and inspiring to sketch with the Urban Sketchers of Portland.

4 comments:

  1. Vicky, I'm so flattered by your sketch of me :) All these sketches are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it, Andrea. You looked so ready for Barcelona, yesterday!
    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sense of proportion you have achieved in the one of the big steam train. I can really feel like I am in that crowd. Did you add some detail in the rhododendron? I didn't remember that...but in any case I really like it. It makes it stand in the same picture plane as the figure.
    Also don't remember the #69 train....on toned paper. Good job with the markers and highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Deb.Yes, I added some ink lines for shading and around the blossoms on the rhododendron so it wouldn't just look like pink blobs. The #69train was just an ink sketch on the toned paper, so it didn't really stand out until I added the color and highlights at home. I guess I kind of fudged on manifesto #1:)

    ReplyDelete