Monday, April 13, 2015

Visit to Muse and sketches

A notice from Muse Art and Design that my long awaited Kadhi sketchbooks had arrived was the impetus to get to SE Hawthorne. I had been interested in this sketchbook and interesting paper after seeing Kalina's sketches from Brazil.
The paper is handmade in south India (from recycled cotton rag) and comes in two sketchbook sizes 6"x6" and 8"x8" approx.
I got one of each to try out.
The day started out great with sun then progressing to cloud over and it was a questionable day by the time I got to SE Hawthorne. Vicky and Kalina were optimistic enough to join me for a little sketching so we ventured a little west of Muse to a likely spot.

This first sketch is on the Kahdi 6"x6". I used my usual technique of non waterproof ink and watercolor but was a little tentative in my execution. This paper took it pretty well and I am anxious to try with a bit more aggression next time to see where I can go with it.

Non waterproof ink and watercolor

This second sketch is a look a bit further down the street and in my Fabriano sketchbook. It started out as an ink sketch that I added watercolor. In some parts it got a little wet and so I lost some detail.

Non waterproof ink and watercolor

6 comments:

  1. These are really nice! It's interesting that even in the scan, the texture really shows. I think it's going to be really fun to watch what you do with this paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and I agree Vicky....this should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb I love your sketches! I like the paper tone and texture of #1, and the ink colors too!
    #2 the cars are an awesome addition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for paper that is absorbent and takes color well and I love the handmade Indian paper. Your sketchesake me think you found a good combo. I may have to make the trek to Portland. ( I live in Olympia) Who makes the sketchbooks?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure who the supplier is Jane. They are an imported item and I waited quite a long while for these to show up.
    If you like I can purchase it for you and send it to you. The 6x6 retails for $9.95 and the 8x8 at $14.50.
    deb

    ReplyDelete