Saturday, April 13, 2013

Voodoo and Beyond

I don't have any terrific sketches today, but in the spirit of sharing, here they are.
This first one was done at Voodoo Doughnuts Too, looking past the sketchers to the parking lot beyond. (My apologies for the poor likenesses.)


It was chilly today (mid 40's) and I didn't finish my sketches from the parking lot before we decided to head to a nearby coffee and motorcycle shop ( see Katura's links) for warmth. What a great place this was!  Thanks to Mike for finding this spot. Besides the hot mugs, good coffee, and delicious pastry, there were motorcycles, helmets, good views and available tables.



Not having been on a motorcycle since my 20's,  I had no idea what I was drawing and it's likely that someone who knows motorcycles would be appalled at what I left out or distorted. This last one, I drew from looking at a reflection in the shop window. Then I turned around and drew the rest of the scene.


We didn't have a big group, but it was a very congenial one and I had a good time sketching with everyone and perusing the sketchbooks. 

After warming up at home, I went back to the doughnut shop to finish my sketches. The lines were three people thick this time and it started raining, so I drove a few blocks away and drew a firehouse from the warmth of my car. The Voodoo Doughnut shop sketches will have to wait for another, warmer day.

4 comments:

  1. I also know very little about motorcycles, but I really like your sketches of them--the forms are very logical and the angles feel very realistic. And I just adore the doodle of me and Chris with the Voodoo Shrub of Doom in the background--that makes me glow with happiness. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, I still laugh at your reaction when that guy handed you the prewarmed mug! We were all sooo cold from sitting outside. See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the added color Vicky. And I love that you got the ivy 'floating donut' behind Katura and Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Katura, Mike and Deb. That was a fun sketching day.

    ReplyDelete