Sunday, January 23, 2011

Worldwide Sketchcrawl, Portland, OR

I also posted this on my painted cats blog.
We met at Boyd's in SW Portland to do some sketching of downtown. We were lucky to have sunshine and blue skies, though it was still quite chilly to be out.
 I attempted a tree, but it was quite huge and complicated. I also attempted a map, but that too was complicated
 This was my intended subject. This was as far as I got before my bum got too cold and I needed to seek shelter.
 We found an inside location with a view. I wasn't impressed by this attempt, but I liked being warm!
 I captured Deb sketching on the stairs. I forgot my camera, so this will have to do!
 Ten of us met for lunch and to show off our sketches.  There were a couple of others out sketching, too, but they didn't join us for lunch.

I went back out for a little more sketching. This was done in the south park blocks.
 I liked this fountain.
It was a great Portland day for a sketchcrawl. We usually have a really good turnout at our sketchcrawls, which is a lot of fun. It is so great to see what other people can do in the same amount of time in approximately the same location. We have some VERY talented people in our group. Kudos to all the Portland Urban Sketchers!

3 comments:

  1. Alanna, I really like the sense of scale you got on the Shemanski fountain scene. That was what I wanted to achieve in my own drawing but didn't quite get.
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alanna--
    After staring at that tree yesterday, I can attest to the fact that you got all the important branches right. It's fun to see how your day started and where you went from there. At the end, I was sketching from the same spot Deb was in your sketch. I really like how you got both the fountain and the church steeple in the same sketch. I've sketched both of those in the past, but never thought to sketch from that angle. I really like it. I'm also going to swipe your map idea sometime. Thanks for making the sketchcrawl happen. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Vicky and Deb! Vicky, I have to admit to seeing Deb in a nice spot and sitting next to her to draw the fountain scene!
    Thanks for coming out to the sketchcrawl! I am always so inspired by all the amazing sketches and different approaches people take to try and capture a scene!

    ReplyDelete