Monday, February 18, 2013

NW 24th and NW Thurman in Portland

After a wonderful interlude at Kiva Tea and Spa our large group of sketchers dispersed to various parts. I was intending to sketch a corner at NW25th and Upshur but didn't quite make it there. I got distracted by the Ideal Theater at 24th and Thurman (Alanna found out more details about this site by reading the sign posted on the building but I just noted its est date). I loved the half round front (especially with the equally rounded shape of the Smart car parked it front) and it's special brick details. So I went no further and happily sketched it until the rain got beyond a few sprinkles. I then moved across the street to set myself under a convenient awning to sketch the Dragonfly Coffee House. This drawing was unfinished when the sketchers again gathered at Kenny and Zukes for lunch. My intention was to complete it afterward but the heavy rain made it impossible so I came back on Sunday morning to finish it up.

5 comments:

  1. These are some great detailed spreads. A nice combination of wash and line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful sketches as always! The monochrome really works for these winter sketches, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You get in all the important parts and seem to make it all cohesive. Always impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Marco, Janene and Vicky. I really enjoyed the sketching and it is always good to hear such positive feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sketches are alive. I love your work!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete