Monday, June 18, 2012

Weekend Scavenging


Saturday morning was perfect weather for sketching with the Urban Sketchers.

I sat down low by the Ira Keller Fountain, close enough to feel the cool air from 
the falling water. The last time I sketched this was with Tia at the 2010 Symposium 
and I was reminded of her saying, "Add brown to those greens in the trees."
 Here's my latest attempt.



There was a Benson Bubbler right across the street, so that sketch knocked off another
 scavenger hunt item. I wish I had been quick enough to sketch the crow that dunked
 his bread in the water.



I started drawing the elk after lunch, but he looked like a cartoon, so I'll need to
 revisit him another day.

On Sunday, my husband and I rode the aerial tram up to OHSU. (Sunday is a good day 
to go because it isn't very busy.) The ride was quick, but fun and the views were great, 
even on a cloudy day. Drawing the tram is very tricky, because it's only still for a matter
 of moments. I drew the dock first and then raced to get the tram in before it disappeared.


Here's another view of the tram dock.


"Pill Hill" would be a terrific place to practice perspective drawing because you 
can see so many different views of buildings and passageways. Here's a one-point 
view that I took from the skybridge to the Veteran's Hospital. I'm glad it's not on the 
scavenger hunt list!



Scavenger Hunt Tally: bubbler, tram 14

5 comments:

  1. Great work, Vicki! You chose some really challenging perspectives and handled them well. I especially like the fountain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice sketches Vicky. That elk is deceiving because he is so thick necked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Carrie. I'll have to measure the neck next time I attempt the elk sketch.

    ReplyDelete