Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tigard's Balloon Festival

Going to a Balloon Festival to see the balloons launch means getting there at 5:30 am. I felt like quite the dedicated sketcher when my alarm went off at 4:45am. Armed with strong coffee, my camp chair and my sketching gear, I tried my best to capture these beautiful balloons.

Here's one sketch.



 Maybe I should have shown the sketches first THEN the beautiful photos!
20110626-045212.jpg

20110626-045220.jpg

20110626-045228.jpg



20110626-045252.jpg

20110626-045301.jpg

20110626-045308.jpg
I sketched these on pages of my Flexi Sketch sketchbook that in some cases I had already added splashes of watercolor and even pasted on some random scraps of paper. I've had fun playing with water color paint while I watch movies. I'm finding that I sketch a little more freely on these pages that aren't glaringly white, which is a nice bonus!

Sketches also were posted on my blog

5 comments:

  1. Such dedication to the cause Alanna...I did think of you as I awoke on Sunday morning (much later than 4:45am) but I had put in a very long day in the garden the day before and kind of knew I wasn't going to get there!
    What a wonderful spectacle though and I love the drawings of the half inflated balloons...great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are some great sketches alanna! you really did a good job of capturing the form of the inflating balloons. true dedication to get out there so early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great Alanna. Congratulations for rising so early and getting over there to cook park.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful, Alanna! You really captured the brightness and fullness of the huge balloons. And you did that while sleep deprived! I hope to go there sometime. In the meantime, we have your vibrant recordings of the day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you had the great weather! I've been to the Albuquerque festival when some 300 or so go up, but this was great to have in our backyard. Wife and I and grandson are off to SunRiver Sunday for a week. I hope to join the group shortly thereafter. I did a lot of drawing on our Alaska trip to share.

    ReplyDelete