Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sketching at Riverplace

Portland Urban Sketchers met at The Riverplace.
Riverplace was developed at the south part of the Tom McCall Waterfront Park after the Harbor Freeway was replaced by the park in the 1970's. It's got a little marina, some restaurants, and some shops as well as apartments and condos and the Riverplace Hotel. The greenway extends north through Governor Tom McCall Waterfront Park up to Steel Bridge and, eventually, south through the South Waterfront.  You can watch the Dragonboat races from here during the Rose Festival (or watch the teams practice during the year).  Riverplace is connected to downtown and the South Waterfront development by the Portland Streetcar.The Streetcar is in Fareless Square - pretty handy. (source: portland-neighborhoods

I realized that sketching these fancy boats are as much fun as sketching cars.


I did get a good likeness of Carrie, sketching happily in the sun.
 I'm always tempted to draw these darn  bridges we've got everywhere, but every time I curse their complicatedness.
 I finished a sketchbook while out, so I started a Flexi Sketch. With its 300 pages, I should be working in it for a while!
 I tried to capture kalina in that great hat of hers.
 I also tried to capture the sail boat with laundry handing out and man in hammock, a dragon boat, and dogs...


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing these Alanna, I don't think I saw all that you did. Thanks for immortalizing me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw that last one spanning the shore to the ship to the bridge - nice!

    ReplyDelete