Saturday, May 23, 2015

Spiral Sketching

I've been taking a Sketchbook Skool (yes, it's spelled that way) class and last week's instructor was Urban Sketcher, Miguel Herranz. One of his suggestions was to start a drawing in the center and then spiral out from that instead of doing a layout first. One advantage to this kind of sketching is that you can stop at almost any time and you have a fairly complete looking sketch. Somehow, I haven't found it very easy to stop, though.

I started the Jamison Square sketch yesterday and went back to finish it today. I had drawn the birch trees with white gel pen and they looked like ghost trees. Today, Deb informed me that they are infected with Birch Boar and are indeed dying. That's too bad. I've been drawing these trees over several years and it will be sad to see them go.

This next sketch was drawn from inside at the always welcoming Ovation Coffee Shop, bordering the Fields. A few of us sketched inside, waiting for the drizzle to end. Again, Deb helped me out by giving me an Urban Sketcher sticker to cover up the partially drawn dog that I didn't have time to finish before it walked away.


The toned paper seemed appropriate for the cloudy days we had today and yesterday, but here's a bit of color from a sunnier day last weekend.



2 comments:

  1. I'm from Portland but currently live in Barcelona. I have chatted with Miguel through Urban Sketchers and his Inky Fingers blog, but I only learned of the online sketch school from your posting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Nanine. You're very lucky to be in Barcelona. There are so many great sketchers there--many of whom connect through Urban Sketchers. It was a pleasure to see Miguel's sketchbook when I was at the Barcelona Symposium and an additional pleasure to take the online class he taught. Lapin is also an instructor with that online school. Have a great time sketching Barcelona!

      Delete