Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tacoma Sketchcrawl

Four of us rode up to Tacoma on the train to join other NW Urban Sketchers in Tacoma. It was a fun trip: hearing about the symposium, sketching, talking with other sketchers and perusing the sketchbooks. I'm definitely a little fish in a big pond (or in this case, a big bay), but it was inspirational seeing the works of so many terrific sketchers, including our own! Here are my attempts, but be sure to check out the other Portland sketchers' works as well as posts on the Seattle blog.


Sitting on a bench in the shade of the glass bridge, I sketched the Museum of Glass. After seeing the dramatic contrasts others had, I tried to darken my darks at home, although I'm not sure it made much of an improvement.


These giant glass sculptures, near the entrance to the glass bridge, were really beautiful in the light. If I were to try these again, I'd place them in their setting.

My attention span for drawing buildings is about three windows, and that held for this sketch.


The light on the Museum of Glass was gorgeous at the end of the day, so I decided to just focus on that.

It was a very enjoyable day and I got a lot ideas to try to work on, but mostly it was just a pleasure to sketch and visit with our friendly sketchers to the north. I'm looking forward to when we host them next in Portland. In the meantime, I'll keep working on some of the things I'm learning from others. Thanks, everyone!




4 comments:

  1. Your color is great Vicky. When the drawings were laid out I remember your glass sculptures and the union station but not the first one shown here of the Glass Museum. I really like the view you have taken through some of the surrounding structures..a very good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Deb. What a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colors! It really captured the beauty of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Gail. It was a very fun day and I was surrounded by inspirational artists.

    ReplyDelete